In the S.W.D.D Spotlight
Hurricane Season Preparation
Hurricane season is from June 1 though November 30. What should you do now to prepare? What should you do if there's an imminent threat? Use this checklist to help you get prepared.
Indian River County Cart Program
Please take a moment to watch this brief informational video to ensure you receive maximum service
Statement of Function
The County's solid waste system is an organized dependent special district known as Indian River County Solid Waste Disposal District (SWDD). The purpose of the Refuse Disposal Division under SWDD is to operate five Customer Convenience Centers (CCC's) around the County and transport materials delivered to these centers by county residents to the landfill site for recycling and/or disposal. The five county wide CCC's provide collection points for the residents to deliver municipal solid waste, yard trash, household hazardous waste and various recyclable materials. SWDD then transports these materials to the landfill for ultimate disposition to maintain the health and well being of the community and environment.
2019/2020 Goals and Objectives
- Complete road and building improvements to protect SWDD assets.
- Complete the construction for the cap and closure of Segment I, Infill and Segment II
- Complete the construction for Cell II of Segment 3 landfill.
- Initiate Concrete Crushing and Site Work for Yard Waste Facility.
- Initiate the design of a new leachate pre-treatment system.
- Complete emergency management / fire protection improvements.
- Continue to maintain environmental compliance of the entire landfill site in accordance.